Saturday 13 February 2010

Playing with practice


This post sounds like I'm trying to blow my own trumpet, which isn't really what I'm trying to do, but I had an interesting email today that surprised me.

One of my friends is a classically trained pianist. He wrote saying:

I tried out your practice 'technique'... It was a wonderful experience and had a feeling of spontaneity and lack of conscious control that I associate with Contact Impro. It was wonderful. Thank you. And the amazing thing is that in 8.5 years of playing the piano I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT!


so, I think it would be good if play took more of a central place in learning to 'play' an instrument.


here's the full transcript

His first email:
now, at my teacher's suggestion, I am spending a year focusing on Jazz Piano, which I am finding surprisingly theoretical.

I replied
yes, I think Jazz needs to get more playful. The theory is useful but they get too heady about it in my limited experience. I find the best thing is to take a simple chord/sequence/mode/whatever it is you're playing with, throw the book/music away, and just play with it until you don't want to any more. That's my "technique" at least.

he replied
I tried out your practice 'technique' and played my favourite chord C minor, plus a minor 7th, in the LH and then played around in that key with the RH. (actually i have just realised that I mistakenly played an A natural). It was a wonderful experience and had a feeling of spontaneity and lack of conscious control that I associate with Contact Impro. It was wonderful. Thank you. And the amazing thing is that in 8.5 years of playing the piano I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT!

Thanks to bowman_rdb for the pic

No comments:

Post a Comment